Frequently Asked Questions About Solar in Alberta
There are lots of questions when it comes to harnessing solar energy for your business or home.
At Gridworks Energy, we answer questions like these every day. Here are the answers to the most common questions asked by Albertans when it comes to solar energy.
If your question isn’t answered on this page, please contact us directly by using the form at the bottom of the page and we will get back to you with a thorough answer.
Common questions and benefits of going solar
There are no moving parts so no user intervention is required in the day-to-day operation of the Solar Photovoltaic (PV) System. It is designed for automatic, unattended operation. When there is sufficient light, either direct or indirect, your PV System generates electricity for use. The energy produced will be consumed by loads.
Any excess electrical energy generated by your PV System will be exported to your local electrical transmission grid. Your local Wires Service Provider (WSP) and electrical retailer will work in conjunction to record (via a bi-directional meter installed for free by your WSP) all exported electrical energy in kWhs where you will be compensated for all net-electrical energy exported.
No, it is very uncommon that you will notice any interruption when implementing solar panels for your business. The solar power systems we install are grid-connected and do not require batteries.
As solar is a long-term investment in your property, any building with a rooftop in good condition has the potential of being a great candidate for our installations.
You can contact us for a free estimate to get more detailed information for your specific situation.
- Save money every year
- Increase the value of your property
- Predictable electricity rates
- Large tax incentives
- Gain an ROI quickly
- Demonstrate commitment to social responsibility
- Demonstrate sustainable practices
- Owning and generating your own electricity
- Reducing daytime peak electrical loads
- Diversifying the local energy portfolio reduces financial risk
What current rebates are there for solar in Alberta?
How long will the City of Edmonton solar rebates last? Will there be another Provincial solar rebate?
When it comes to the City of Edmonton solar rebate, as of April 2022, the program is showing over 80% subscribed. It is impossible to know how quickly the remaining 20% will be filled or if the rebate will be re-issued/continued after it is fully subscribed.
As far as another provincial solar rebate goes we do not see this happening with the current provincial government in Alberta.
When it comes to the Federal Greener Homes Grant we know that as long as the current federal government remains in power this grant will remain in place.
What is the Return On Investment (ROI) for solar?
The more direct and intense the UV rays from the sun, the higher the production of energy produced by solar panels will be.
There will always be electricity generated as long as there is visible light, though it will be less.
The amount of energy solar panels will produce depends on several factors, including the weather and general climate of the area your panels are installed.
Depending on the style of building, there are different variations in technology that can be used to improve the effectiveness of solar panels. Contact us to find out the best individual solution for your situation.
Depending on the size of the system you can create credits equal to your electricity consumption costs over the year by switching to solar. Keep in mind that most solar setups usually aren’t meant to completely remove your need for the regular electricity grid, but to reduce your reliance on it.
Depending on the size of the system and the amount of energy that it creates in comparison to your consumption, payoff period as well as rebates in place at the time of construction payoff for a residential system is between 7 – 15 years. Commercial systems are between 10 – 15 years. Joining the Solar Club at 25.8 cents/kwh will further reduce your ROI time by a couple of years.
How can solar energy help my business?
By installing an electric meter you can monitor how much solar energy each tenant is using and bill them accordingly.
In Canada, depending on the time of year means you’re building may not use all the solar energy generated on a daily basis. In this case, you’re able to sell the energy back to the grid, increasing the profitability of your commercial solar system setup.
Even if you don’t consume all the energy solar generates, none of it is wasted. The excess energy generated will be sold to your electrical retailer and that energy will be dispersed to your neighbors for consumption.
The addition of a solar system will undoubtedly increase the value of a commercial property. Not only that, investing in renewable energy gives the image of a green-friendly business and updates the physical appearance.